22 jun 2009

Objects in mirror...

Recently on Highways & Byways

From the TELL US MORE section: Objects in mirror

By Drew Crosby

While I was getting out of the car the other day, I found my neighbor looking into his car’s rear-view mirror (espejo retrovisor) reciting something in English.

“Objects in mirror…” he started to say.

Despite his strong accent, I immediately knew what he was reading and before he could finish the sentence, I added “are closer than they appear.”



No, this wasn’t some narcissist English language pronunciation exercise, although practicing your pronunciation in front of a mirror can help. (It worked for me when learning Spanish!) My neighbor, let’s call him Juan, was reading something stamped on all rear-view mirrors produced for U.S. vehicles: “Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.”

And Juan drives a Chevrolet.

The phrase is burned into my memory. In fact, it would have been impossible NOT to have learned the phrase by heart (de memoria). I started driving when I was 16, so you can imagine how many times I’ve read that sentence.

When changing lanes, I checked the rear-view mirror: Objects may be closer than they appear.

When backing out (salía marcha atrás), I checked the rear-view mirror: Objects may be closer than they appear.

When hoping not to see a police car signaling me to pull over (parar), I checked the rear-view mirror: Objects may be closer than they appear.

You get the idea.

We can thank racecar driver Ray Harroun for “inventing” the rear-view mirror at the inaugural Indianapolis 500 in 1911.

When it was time to begin the race and he couldn’t find his mechanic -mechanics used to sit in the back of racecars to monitor race traffic from behind- Harroun stuck a mirror onto his dashboard (salpicadero) and the idea immediately caught on (tuvo éxito).

Obviously, riding in the backseat of a racecar is risky business and mechanics themselves often became the “objects” which, when viewed from the cockpit (cabina del piloto) of an Indy racecar, were closer than they appeared.

No hay comentarios: